Mr Vail Karuppiah is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Nottingham, who speicalises in Foot & Ankle surgery
• Foot pain, muscle tendon and ligament conditions, bunion, Achilles tendon, ankle instability, ankle osteoarthritis, ankle pain, arthritis, bursitis, claw toes, contracture, fusion, hammer toe, joint instability, ligament injury, metatarsal, metatarsalgia, mortons neuroma, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatoid, steroid injection, swelling, unstable joint, hallux valgus, bunion, hallux rigidus, hammer toes, claw toes, metatarsal problems, painful flat foot. Minimally invasive foot surgery (Key Hole Surgery)
• 1st MTP joint replacement
• Sports related injuries
• Adult Acquired flat foot
• Ankle replacement
• Plantar Fasciitis (Key hole)
• Foot and Ankle Deformity correction
• Rheumatoid Foot and Ankle
• Diabetic Foot
Mr Karuppiah believes in the advantage of using ‘keyhole’ surgery for the management of Bunion correction and other surgeries including hammer toe and toe fusions. This technique allows patients for early recovery, significant less downtime and far few complications.
For sports ankle injuries he uses ligament reconstruction and pioneering techniques such as cartilage transplantation which has far more advantages than standard management.
He believes in individualised surgery and professional care for his patients. Surgery is only part of what is required for patients to regain quality of life.
For more information on Mr Karuppiah's practice, please take a look here.
Graduated from JIPMER, Pondicherry, India. He started his surgical career in Aberdeen, Scotland and completed Membership exams. He completed his National Orthopaedic Training Programme in the East Midlands working at various hospitals, including the Queen Medical Centre, Nottingham, Derby Hospitals and Kingsmill Hospital, Mansfield.
Training and Fellowship
Mr Vail Karuppiah has had a very broad surgical training including being trained in orthopaedic surgery at the Nottingham's Queens Medical Centre. This is one of the biggest and best orthopaedic hospitals in the country. He has also trained abroad in South Africa and Australia with prominent surgeons including some travel fellowship.
He has got a strong academic interest spending many years doing research and teaching medical students. He continues to extensively publish in various International journals and presenting both at National and International meetings.
British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (BOFAS)
Fellow Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh)
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
British Medical Association (BMA)
Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust
Wed (pm) & Sat (am); Mon (pm) outreach clinic